Date(s) - 01/07/2018
11:00 am - 6:00 pm
MAN OF LA MANCHA
NO preparation is necessary
Play -Dale Wasserman
Music – Mitch Leigh
Lyrics – Joe Darion
Directed By: Max Rayner
Musical Director – Pat H Wilson
Don Quixote (Cervantes) / Alonso Quijana
– tall, thin, gaunt man who is eccentric, charming and charismatic – an actor, playwright and would-be knight… romantic with a vision of a far better and nobler world where knights and chivalry rule the day…. Crazy perhaps? An unconventional thinker and a restless spirit….
BARITONE Low B-F
Age 30 – 60
– Don Quixote’s pragmatic but loyal servant and sidekick… short and Squat… very devoted to Quixote with all his idiosyncrasies…. Light hearted sprit with deep and true kindness….
TENOR C-high G
Age 25 – 50
– A wild, lusty woman with a jaded look at life from experience… a serving woman and a part-time prostitute at the inn… she is rough on the exterior but has a gentle heart inside and yearns to believe what Don Quixote tells her… she wants to be loved…
SOPRANO low Ab – high Ab
– Strong but kind and sympathetic as the Innkeeper but as the Governor he is the leader of the inmate society in the prison… a strong and powerful man…
BASS – Low G – C#
Dr Carrasco / The Duke / Knight of the Mirrors
Loves money, power and prestige… As the Duke he is a sidekick to the Governor, however, as Dr Carrasco, he is Antonia’s fiancé and believes Quixote is insane and wants to have him treated…
BARITONE – low C – DB.
Age 30 – 60
-Kindly sympathetic cleric…. Well intentioned but not strong enough to stand up to his beliefs… he has a soul and a heart and likes to please all….
TENOR F – high C
Age 25 – 60
– Comic character.. simple man with simple needs…
TENOR B – high G
Age 20 – 60
– Alonso Quiujana’s self-centred niece who is about to marry Dr Carrasco…
SOPRANO C – high F
Age 18 – 35
– Alonso Quijana’s housekeeper who is strong of body and religious / moral convictions….
MEZZO. Low f – High F
Age 30 -70
Pedro – The head muleteer… a mean and vicious man… rough and ruthless… leads the attack on Aldonza…
BARITONE Low D – D
Age 25 – 55
Anselmo – rough muleteer
TENOR A – high F#
Age 20 – 50
Ensemble -Consisting of more minor principals, Prison guards, Men of the Inquisition, Muleteers, Prison women, Dancers to portray horses and Moors
A variety of singers
Age 20 – 70
Man of La Mancha is set in a prison in the city of Seville and various places in the imagination of MIGUEL DE CERVANTES at the end of the sixteenth century. This remarkable story is ‘play-within-a-play’ based on Cervantes’ “Don Quixote” and is a poignant story of a dying old man whose impossible dream takes over his mind. His dream is Everyman’s dream and is brought to life by the inmates of the prison in order for Cervantes to gain his freedom from his captors.
Auditions – Sunday July 1
Auditions will be in the form of workshops and auditionees are asked to come along at the scheduled time in comfortable clothing and shoes.
NO preparation is necessary as music and dialogue will be workshopped in the audition process.
Just bring along your confidence and patience and be prepared for a jam packed workshop session.
As a result of the morning sessions, auditionees will be assigned to the Ensemble and individuals will be invited back in the afternoon to delve further into particular principal roles.
11am – all women
12.45pm – all men
2.00 – call backs for women
4.00pm – call backs for men
Rehearsals all at St Jude’s Players Hall
444 Brighton Road, Brighton
First rehearsal August 19th
Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7.30pm to 10.30pm
Sundays from 2pm to 5pm
Performances in St Jude’s Hall
November 15, 16, 17 at 8pm
November 21, 22, 23, 24 at 8pm
Matinees on November 17 and 24 at 2pm
More Information – Contact Max Rayner on 0438 655 088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org